Monday, May 11, 2009

The Movies

So, misbeHaven and I went to see Star Trek Sunday.
Disclosure: I grew up on this and do have both 1st and 2nd editions of the Star Fleet Technical Manual. Yes I am a geek and proud of it.

Overall it was a great action adventure flick. Stands on its own well and should be enjoyed by the current generation of ADHD kids and adolescents. As a pre-sequel though I have issues.

Simon Peg as Scotty ROCKED!!! The rest of the cast seems to be pretty well chosen as well IMNSHO.

However, ______ and ______ being romantically involved?? WTF Or as misbeHaven put it, That's like Elves at Helms Deep! (don't want to spoil it for you)

Like I said, overall it was a good movie and I recommend seeing it. The plot line is OK with me and there are a few contrived scenes but overall good.

3 comments:

  1. How about the new two-handed grip on the phasers? Nice.

    Not sure what the flippy-around crap was about though. What function is that on a phaser?

    Where was Robert April? Skipped entirely looks like. You build starships in orbit or Utopia Planetia, not Iowa.

    How many warp cores does a Constitution-class starship need? A Galaxy class has ONE. The engineering section looked like a shuttle parking deck too.

    When did they start putting a big, front-facing window on the bridge instead of a screen? Spock's ship and the new 1701 both put their bridge officers one transparent aluminum panel away from the icy vacuum of space??? That's not too smart.

    I thought the new Dr. McCoy was fantastic btw.

    Overall I'm pleased with the movie, but I had to voice my nerdly objections. You're not the only one with Technical Manuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had issues with "ejecting the cores" as well. I also question whether the window/screen was their attempt to make it more "realistic" (FAIL!). Engineering was a bit too cluttered for my tastes but I could live with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a geek. No technical manuals for me... just the ST encyclopedia and an audiotape lesson in conversational Klingon... wait, maybe I am a geek.

    Anyway, IMO, the writers used the alternate timeline as an opportunity to rewrite the characters as they chose... for the worse, for several of them. The young actors, on the other hand, did well with what they had to work with.

    Galaxy Quest had better planet-side aliens.

    JJ Abrams admits he was not a fan of ST going in, so canon is not his forte. But action is, and the action is non-stop.

    Old trekkers will be disappointed. Young whippersnappers who laugh at the TOS for its hokey special effects will like this film.

    ReplyDelete