Friday, August 30, 2013

Programmed Expendability

Man I hate modern appliances. This morning started with a fire in the washing machine. I have heard of and even worked a dryer fire but this was a new one on me. Anyway, I tore into teh machine to see what was going on and it was in the drum mechanism bearings. Spent way too much time on line chasing an appliance repair shop that was actually a shop. I didn't want a home service that would mean taking another day off work to wait for them to come out and determine they had to get parts so I had to take another day of for them to repair it. Been there before with the TV. Since it was under warranty and they would not let you bring it in we had to do the home schedule thing. I hate that more than modern appliances.
Anyway, Sears sucks as well. After 9 rings they finally picked up and put me on hold. 19:47 later I hung up. Tried calling back and after 16 rings, I hung up. Screw them if they don't want my money.

Next was research into the actual model Samsung washer and what other people had to say about them. Did you know they had a class action suit filed against them a couple years ago? Neither did I. How about a recall? Neither did I. Turns out hte off balance thing is a known issue and they even have sites where you can order the replacement parts if you know what you need. Looking into the matter further and into teh machine further the parts alone were more than half the cost of the dryer. OK screw that.

Started researching new dryers, you know, consumer reports as well as customer driven review sites. Needless to say there are no washers out there below $1400 that have universally good reviews. So now we have ended up buying a new dryer. Being that we are a few months shy of 6 years I decided to get a hose kit as well as a few other things while we were out spending money we really don't need to be spending.

Now on to fixing the disposal and the dish washer. Yup, I'm in need of repair. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment