Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dad's Day


A salute for Dad's Day, The shadow box contains the flag from his funeral at Fort Sam Natl Cemetery, The fruit salad leads off with the Distinguished Flying Cross with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters and the Air Medal with 8 Oak Leaf Clusters. The three spent shell casings are one from each volley of the 21 gun salute at his funeral. (30-06 fired from M-1 Garands) His Dogtag and a collection of the various sets of wings he wore in his career. All this was before he retired and started his second career teaching World Geography and Economics as well as coaching Golf in High School. An incredible man that I never got to know as well as I would have liked to. I miss him and regret that we were really only starting to connect at the very end just before I had my wreck (June 19th of all the ironies) and he was diagnosed with Colon Cancer.
This is the first DFC for the young Lieutenant. Somewhere I have the article in Stars and Stripes to go with this. Damn but looking at this picture I see my older brother at that age in profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment