Saturday, August 27, 2016

Sig P320 Part the first

Last Thursday evening while grocery shopping we ran into a really good friend that we haven't seen in many moons. He works for Sig. Conversation went from how ya doin to shooting. As it always does. One thing led to another and now I have a P320 Carry (4"bbl w/full length grip) to T&E. Along with a few boxes of Sig ammo.

 For initial thoughts, as a gun nerd and overall mechanical geek, this is a thing of beauty in design. The idea that in about 30 seconds you can do what is essentially a field strip and have the entire fire control group out of the gun swapped into a different size grip and slide on any caliber top end you wish and still only "own" one gun. Seeing as the FCG is the registered part you can have as many grips and top ends as you want. There will be a video of grip change in the next post because they have done so much more.

For my initial test, I went to my old standby; 15 rounds at 15 yards in 15 seconds. Think extended Bill Drill.  For that test I used the Sig ammo provided 115Gr FMJ, Independence 115Gr FMJ, Freedom Munitions 124Gr JHP, American Eagle 115Gr FMJ, Remington 124Gr Golden Sabre +P, and just for fun Tula 115Gr FMJ.

So today I wandered out to the range (we have a 25ydsX25yds three sided berm pushed up in our north pasture) and tossed up a target and started shooting. Interestingly the ejected brass all ended up in a pile about 6 feet to my right, except the nickel plated brass of the +P. That stuff ended up about 3 feet behind my right shoulder.

OK, I know I suck and don't practice enough, especially considering the proximity of the range. This target is all 90 rounds fired from the very first round, that first 15 included the low left three. I'm still consistently a tad left even after I settled in.  I will be going out and shooting more tomorrow in between rain storms and at some point I'll swap grips the the Mrs can go shoot it some herself and give her opinion. Then some friends are coming over to give it a whirl and see what they think.

Next up, grips and what Sig has done with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment